Saturday, April 18, 2020

The Last Time

I have been trying to remember when was the last time I had so much time to myself.

It may have been the last time that I would have had to sit down and write. And such bad are the times that it has taken me more than 3 weeks of solitary confinement to finally think of penning something down. Well better late than never, now that I have reached a frequency of writing one post a year, I might as well take this opportunity to make the one for this year. I must say, in the era of micro-communication, the art of good writing seems to have gone to trash. But it is a moment to introspect more and get back to peening thoughts to paper. So let us give it a shot once again, shall we?

The eyes seem to part, as they dart towards the clock, the days seem to be getting warmer now. It was Day 23 of the lockdown but life seems to have been like this for decades. The hand reaches out into the air for a sign of life, a palm to catch, a chain of reprieve and at last I find it. As I feel the familiar smoothness of the phone screen, it excites my heart in anticipation of news. The routine continues, messages are read and replied to, the count of infected and dead in the country is checked and then compared to the number of the rest of the world. I could be watching the medal tally at the olympics for all I know, USA steals the show at the top with superpowers trailing behind. As I start counting from top to bottom, I find India at number 17, struggling to keep up with the rest of the world. I may be jailed for saying something like this nowadays, but thankfully, the political mania has taken a backseat for now, everyone seems to be concerned about the next piece of hot news concerning COVID-19. The word of the day, week, month, year, decade and century.

The heat seems to be getting to me as I curse myself for the umpteenth time for not buying a remote for my Air Conditioner which runs at a fixed temperature of 18 degrees. I seem to have befriended crows now as they swoop over to my window and drink out of the bucket of water that I keep for the excess water from the AC. I wonder if they would have noticed life coming to a standstill for the humans below, hope there is enough garbage for them to mingle through.

The world seems to be trying to cope up with this mania and keep themselves up and running, work out videos, online conferences, Dalgona coffee, Sari challenges, anything at all to keep themselves from realising the futility of their own existence, the anxiety of their uncertain future, the unknown end that awaits them all.

But as of now, I seem to be enjoying myself though, the solitary confinement puts me in a state of ease, allows me to relax beyond the wildest of my expectations and not make me feel guilty of procrastinating. These are unprecedented times and I believe all of us need to make the most it, not by keeping up with the rest of the world but maybe for once, take that chance to do something else instead. I have realised that cooking is much easier than I thought it out to be. Cooking Butter chicken, Fried Rice, Hummus, Palak Paneer, Rajmah, Dal Chawal, Chilli Chicken couldn't have come at a better time.

I will take a pause now and return with a more creative mind to pen down stories than talk of the current state of affairs. Do stay safe though, there is a virus out there.

No comments: